Saturday, October 18, 2014

Holding up Kind Mirrors

The other mamas explained to me the goals for the mother's group they lead.  They invited me to speak with their group about hearing God's voice through scripture- one of my favorite topics in the world.

In the background, my kids were screaming.  Both of them.  We had met at a giant jungle themed play structure so that they could run around while we talked.  Instead, I had to excuse myself from the conversation to climb up foam stairs and through an elephant head so I could extract my kids mid-meltdown.

I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror on the wall, holding my limp spaghetti leg tantrum child.  Ugh.  I thought.  They must think I'm crazy and my kids are wild.  It will be a miracle if they actually want me to speak to their group after this.

I apologized for the chaos.

They replied, "Don't apologize!  We were just talking how patient you are with your kids."  It was a much kinder mirror that they held in front of me in that moment.

Grace.  Like rain.

Sometimes when I fear what "others think" I forget that they are probably not as critical of myself as I am.  I realized I need kind mirrors in my life.  I need to hold them up for others.  I need to look to one for myself.

There is no kinder mirror than the reflection of my soul in the eyes of God.

God delights in me (Psalm 18:19)
He is enthralled by my beauty like a groom with his bride (Psalm 45:11)
I am very precious to him, not for my outer masks or my productivity, simply my heart (1 Peter 3:4)
He is so happy when he thinks of me, he sings over me (Zephaniah 3:17)
I am his very dear friend (John 15:13-15)
There's nothing I can do that he won't forgive or could ever make him love me less (Romans 8:38-39)

There is security and love and empowerment in grace.

Look in the eyes of God today.  Ask him in prayer to show you how he sees you and wait, vigilantly listening and watching for his answer.

Let the overflow of his wild approval, joyful abandonment, and deep love inspire you to hold up a kind mirror for someone else who needs to feel grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment