Thursday, June 13, 2013

Listen

"Listen".

My fingers draw back from the keyboard, my eyes close, my back relaxing and head tilting up.  This simple writing prompt feels more like a command after a rare hour where I have had time to write.

Typing is noisy.  So many thoughts in my head begging to be organized on the screen.  So many voices and stories echoing through my thoughts, either validating the truths, questioning my assumptions, or laying colored lenses and perspective onto every choice of word, every conviction, every vulnerable confession.

My laptop listens to me.  It repeats back my sentiment on it's screen to check that it understands.  It doesn't.  My words fail me.

***

#FiveMinuteFriday

*This is a creative writing exercise I participate in with a beautiful community of women bloggers.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, this post is brave and haunting. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. This is probably my most raw response to a prompt ever...it was like writing after being caught off guard!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I too, need to listen to the command to listen. Not just listen. Do. Be. Thank you for sharing. Blessings to you on the journey...
    -Becky
    beckykeife.blogspot.com
    from FMF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Becky...I love it when my FMF community swings by!

      Delete
  3. We need to listen to others, and we need to listen to our own still inner voice. I love your little joke at the end about the laptop misunderstanding your words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my best writing is always done when I listen to what's on my heart. If I ever try to force inspiration it never seems to come out right! Liz I'm always inspired by your creative writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Kassi! It's hard enough to find time to write as a mom, when those few moments don't align with inspiration or both collide together with exhaustion it is total frustration! Judging from your blog, though, your moments of inspiration are frequent and beautiful :)

      Delete