Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ouchie

Last night while taking a bath I noticed a little scratch on Olivia's arm. Little. As in small. Maybe her brother had swiped her with a fingernail? It was already almost healed.

Olivia noticed it at the same time I did. She pointed and looked up at me and said "Ow." All day today she has been pointing at her arm and saying "Ow." Considering she knows less than 20 words I just took this as her deciding to practice one of her favorite sounds. Well, I did, and then she kept doing it and then, honestly it started to get a little annoying.

Suddenly, for the millionth time, my child became my mirror. How many times have I obsessed over a wound that was insignificant or already healed?

We all have spiritual, emotional, heart wounds that we walk around with in our souls. Some are gaping holes, many have become battle scars. Some are raw, and we need to pray through the pain and ask God to heal us.

But when he does heal me, or when the hurt is really quite small, there is no reason for me to be dramatic. Why re-open it? Why complain about it? Why not let it be a scar- sexy and mostly unnoticed.

Hosea 6:1-3
“Come, let us return to the Lord.
For He has torn us, but He will heal us;
He has wounded us, but He will bandage us.
2 “He will revive us after two days;
He will raise us up on the third day,
That we may live before Him.
3 “So let us know, let us press on to know the Lord.
His going forth is as certain as the dawn;
And He will come to us like the rain,
Like the spring rain watering the earth.”

God thank you for the ways that you heal me, have healed me, will heal me. Only you truly understand my deepest hurts and disappointments. Let me accept your love and healing, and not dwell on the pain. Let me move past the hurts that are too small to slow me down or distract me from living for you. Jehovah Rophi. You and no other heal my heart.


Olivia loves to show off her scratch. Can you see it? You'll have to work really hard...but she ripped off her pj arm the next morning to show it off again. "Owie".  Ohhh the DRAMA.  

No comments:

Post a Comment